Babies are designed to be carried during the first years of their development. They are unable to move around on their own and continually need the presence of their parents or other reference person. Physical contact makes them calmer and provides security.
The use of a baby stroller fulfills this need of the child, while leaving the carrier free. For this reason, in all cultures, infants and young children have been carried so that adults can perform daily tasks or move more quickly, while still caring for the child.
In the West the culture of porting is recovering, either for specific moments or intensively. At babyshopclub.com we will give you the advice you should know about the subject, before encouraging us to carry it.
Today, the development of new materials and the acquisition of better knowledge around this transportation system have served to expand options and make carrying increasingly safe, comfortable and more satisfying for families.
For porting to be safe, both the device itself and the use that parents make of it must be safe. It is important to indicate that certain requirements must be met for this:
- Choose a baby carrier suitable for your child’s weight and size. On our website we give you all the options to acquire one with all the security of the case.
- Follow the safety recommendations: know how to use the device we have purchased (read the manufacturer’s instructions).
- Put the baby in the correct position and check frequently in prolonged use that this correct position is maintained.
- Prevent baby from sweating or going cold. It is important to have a temperature gauge on hand which is also on our website babyshopclub.com
- Keep the child’s nose clear so that he can breathe normally.
- Do not carry out dangerous activities while carrying, such as cooking, eating hot food, or handling toxic substances.
- Do not smoke or drink alcoholic beverages or medications that may alter the level of consciousness of the adult carrying it.
- It is also important to distinguish between ergonomic and non-ergonomic carrying, since not all types of baby carriers are suitable despite being approved. In this sense, for the porting to be ergonomic it is necessary to use a device that adapts to the physiological conditions (both of the carrier and the ported) and that its use is correct.
- “An ergonomic device, if not properly positioned, may not be ergonomic. The ergonomic carrying ensures a correct position of the baby (head, back and hip) and the adult who carries it avoiding overloads or inappropriate postures. Therefore, it prevents hip dysplasia and postural plagiocephaly in children and allows the multiple benefits of porting for both the adult and the baby, “says the pediatrician.
Benefits of porting
It is important to indicate that carrying has many advantages for him, baby and for the breast for its development, which is explained below:
- Increased physical contact with the caregiver. It improves the security and the bond between him drinks and his carrier.
- Decreased crying. Babies in arms or carried cry less because it creates a feeling of security and protection for the baby.
- Higher quality of sleep. A calm and safe baby sleeps more hours and more easily, achieving full rest in it.
- It favors breastfeeding. Increases production and encourages lactation on demand.
- Encourages secure attachment. Caregivers learn to recognize baby’s cues early and attend to them early. Meeting their needs improves development and creates independent and confident adults. Not all babies have the same signs, it is good to keep that in mind to be able to treat them according to your needs.
- Greater physical well-being: better regulation of temperature, optimization of oxygen consumption and respiration, relief of gastroesophageal reflux, favors the expulsion of gases and stools, improves the development of balance, reduces stress, optimizes the functioning of defenses and provides a greater tolerance to pain.
- Protects the development of the back. Improves muscle tone and physiological curvature of the baby’s back.
- Protects the development of the hips and prevents dysplasia.
- In premature babies, kangaroo care improves physical, emotional and intellectual development, a product available at babyshopclub.com.
For the adult
- Increased autonomy and mobility. Get your arms free while caring for the baby. In addition, the baby carrier avoids architectural barriers (works, stairs, public transport).
- Decreases the risk of postpartum depression. It is important to keep in mind that in the case of having some type of depression, you can consult your doctor in order to maintain the respective treatment.
- It promotes self-esteem. Babies cry less, sleep better, and adults feel more secure.
- Postural hygiene. The use of ergonomic baby carriers does not adversely affect the adult’s back. Used correctly they protect and promote the muscles.
How long can it be carried?
There is no age or weight limit; it depends on the needs of the child and the adult. For optimal transport, only ergonomic baby carriers are recommended, that is, they respect the postural physiology of the baby and the adult.
Carrying an older child, if he has not behaved before, can be difficult. However, if the baby has been carried since childhood, the adult’s back muscles have become accustomed to the gradual increase in weight and the effort required is much less.
How to know if a baby stroller is ergonomic?
- There are many baby carriers on the market, but not all are ergonomic, despite their price. You have to choose well before buying! An ergonomic baby carrier:
- It is comfortable for the carrier and does not give back pain.
- The baby must be well restrained, with the fabric firm and taut, supporting the child’s back. It does not move even if the adult bends down.
- The baby’s back should be flexed, making a “C” shape
- The baby should be high, so that he can be easily kissed.
- The child’s belly should be in contact with the adult’s body. For older babies there are postures to the hip or back, which allow greater visibility while respecting the physiology.
- The legs should be wide open, in a “frog” or “M” position, with the knees slightly higher than the buttocks.
- Safe porting
- To carry it is necessary to know some basic safety rules. It is very important to always leave the baby’s face free, avoid that the neck is flexed and do not carry in vehicles, if there is a risk of falls or if you are near very hot liquids.
What is the most suitable baby stroller?
There are many types of ergonomic baby carriers within the products of babyshopclub.com (backpack, shoulder strap, woven scarf, elastic scarf, mei tai, pouch …)
Each one has its usefulness, advantages and disadvantages. It is the family that has to see which one is the best suited to their circumstances and needs.
Babies have a continual need for contact. The baby carrier helps to satisfy that need, facilitating daily tasks for the caregiver. A satisfied baby gradually gains security and autonomy and will need less physical contact. Babies don’t get used to arms, they need them!